Sunday, May 27, 2007

FINALLY time you heard from MDM

Don't faint from shock!  To say that you haven't heard from us would be a gross understatement.  Mike and I have been keeping a pretty low profile, working our way through some financial problems due to his not being able to find a permanent job.  We finally had to file bankruptcy this past January.  It was a hard thing for us to do, but it was either that, or run the risk of losing everything.  Now, we are back to square one, but it's a relief to have that burden off our shoulders.  We are learning how to budget money and how to save it.  Of course, at the moment, there isn't much to save, but we know this too shall pass.

For the past several months, Mike has been working for a some home developers placing signs along the road to direct people to the open houses.  He has several routes and spends Friday nights putting the signs up, and, because of county/city/state regulations, has to take them all back down Sunday nights.  Currently placing for 5 developments totaling 263 signs.  It takes him about 7 hours Friday night and 6 hours Sunday night including post pick-up report.  Not glamorous and definitely hard work ran or shine (does it shine at night?) but after fuel expense netting better than $16 an hour.  (Paid per sign @$1 per, was almost $17 an hour but with the price of gas escalating…)

Over the Christmas holidays, Michael got a job driving for UPS.  He really liked it, but, they do not hire drivers from outside the company (Unions rules I guess), so he would have to start as a part time package handler.  It's kind of on the back burner.  Every time we think he's going to go in that direction, something happens and it seems like he's getting steered in the food business.  Last week, he got a job running a espresso/deli café in an office building.  It will only be for a couple months, since the owners are trying to sell it and are in negotiations.  Here's the funny part- the building the deli is in is one of the office buildings my company leases space in over by Vancouver Mall.  I used to spend 1 day a week in that building when I still worked in Vancouver, so I know a lot of the people there.  He is really having fun I think, but I'll have to let him tell you about that.

As for me, I'm still driving to Portland every day for work, which wouldn't be so bad except for the gas prices.  But I don't like not having my car and even though the commute takes me longer, it would be twice as long if used public transportation.  I would still have to drive to a park & ride in Portland, which is about half way to my office anyway.  As it is, I don't get home in the evenings until about 6.  Fortunately, I have a husband who is a wonderful cook and has dinner started when I get home.  I usually just have to make the salad. 

I'm hoping I can find something back in Vancouver, especially since, in the next 1-2 years, my position is technically going away.  Problem is, I just don't know what else I would want to do.  On the up side, I'm eligible for full retirement in November, so if I get really unhappy where I'm at, I can always leave.  A couple months ago, I started getting sick and went to the doctor thinking I had a cold and was told it was allergies - the building I work in has caused my dust allergy to start acting up and I'm back on my allergy medication after almost 5 years off them.

BUT, we are healthy (for the most part) and have each other and all of you.  We love hearing how all of
your are doing and all the wonderful things that are happening in your lives.

Love, Mike & Debi

3 comments:

Sariah said...

We're glad you are healthy! :) Good luck with the job situation(s)!

motherof8 said...

I admire your perseverance in difficult times. You are both awesome. May you find the jobs of your dreams soon. Even more, may your love and health continue strong - that's the real wealth.

Robin said...

I was glad to hear that you guys are working so hard to emerge out of a difficult time......I have asked several people about you.....not hearing at Christmas time told me that things were amiss. Keep posting from time to time.....want to know that all is improving for you guys.