Saturday, February 23, 2008

Remembering Misha

Michael was writing to someone on the home roaster list last nite (Friday 2/22) and I wanted to share part of it with all of you.

A dear friend and family member of 16 years died while we were eating dinner tonight. He's been my master since the first day he joined our home as a wee furball of a kitten. I still remember staying up with him that first night because he cried and missed his mother so much, our bond was permanently forged. It was often funny, he'd often follow me around like a puppy dog. We knew his time was nigh and decided to take him into the vet and put to sleep after we ate. He's been slowly declining for a couple years from his former 13# robust self down to under 7. Last couple of days I knew his time was short. This evening when I got home he didn't even lift his head when I petted him and he was barely breathing. But Misha always hated going the vet and especially getting shots so departed on his own terms. I was glad for that. I will miss him sorely and never forget him. It'll be a bit empty him not sleeping on the right side of my head even though he'd often be annoying many a early morning batting me lightly in the face as his purr rumbled 'cuz HE deciding it was time to be petted. Which of course I'd dutifully do as commanded then pull the sheet over my head to ward off further battings as I went back to sleep. Life goes on but I am sad and mourn his passing.

This is Debi again - I too will miss our little guy sorely.  I'll miss the way he always wanted to get on my lap whenever I was on my computer and wanting me to pet him when Michael and I were sitting watching TV at night - but only for a few minutes, before settling down on Michael's lap (never mine).  The house feels so empty today with him gone. It's like you can feel that his spirit has left us.  I keep expecting to see him - curled up on the bed or back of the couch, or on my desk (this was new in the last month).  Oh, Michael buried him in the backyard, so he will always be with us in some way.

So, now we are a catless home for the first time in over 25 years.  Hopefully not for long, but it will be strange for us to have to find that special someone to share our home with on our own  Mom gave us both Mariko and Misha, and even our very first kitty we got from Kris.

I'll write more 'family news' stuff later when we're a little less sad.

We miss all of you and so enjoy hearing how you're all doing.  Keep posting on the site.  We'll try to do better too.

Love and prayers

Mike & Debi

1 comment:

Sariah said...

I'm so, so sorry! I know that it's a part of life and that he did have a long and happy life, but it's still so hard to let go and say good-bye.

Even though we can't have cats (Ryan and Cadi have allergies), I am totally a cat person. I would get one in a heartbeat if it wouldn't put my family's health in jeapardy. My heart goes out to you guys today.

*HUGS*