Saturday, November 10, 2007

McKona Koffee is a Reality

Since I know that Michael just isn't going to find the time to write about his new endeavor, I thought I'd let you all know that  as of November 1, 2007, mcKona Koffee Roastery & Paradise Kafe  (formerly Paradise CafĂ©) are now owned by Mike McGinness & Bruce Harrington. 

Everything chaotic and crazy right now, especially since their big floor roaster hasn't been delivered yet and probably won't for another month, so Mike is having to do all the coffee roasting at home.  Apparently the whole bean sales are going pretty good as people are discovering that they are carrying a variety of them, fresh roasted and packaged in 1 and 1/2 lb bags.  They have their own label and a website the is working, but still under construction.  Check it out a www.mckonakoffee.com.  Still needs a lot of work, but they need to find someone that can work on it that has some knowledge of coffee.

Couple of my friends went down for lunch last week and said the sandwiches were really good.  Big and satisfying and so was the red curry soup, which they only got a taste of because it was almost gone.  They have a guy that makes scones and blueberry muffins, and get the rest of their baked goods, including the breads for their sandwiches from a local bakery up the street.

The only really bad thing we both get home late - after 6 for me and after 7 for Michael.  I've had to take over fixing dinner again, which I got out of the habit of doing this past year.  Got to learn to start planning ahead.  Hate eating that late though.  We'd gotten used to heating about 6:30 and now, sometimes it's almost 8 before we sit down.  Some days, it's just too much, then it's Schwan's.

My big news is the I had my 30 year anniversary with Bonneville Power on Wednesday.  I'm now eligible for full retirement.  Can't even believe it.  Of course, just starting a new business, it may be a while before I'll be able to actually do it, but just knowing that I could just up and retire at any time is sort of a nice feeling.  With everything that's been happening with my job over the past couple years - and it's still going on -  I could just get fed up one day, turn in my papers and leave.  Lady in HR did that about 4 weeks ago.  Just like that.  Of course, I wouldn't do that to my co-workers.  Besides, I want a BIG retirement party when I leave.  Michael says a couple more years, which will go really fast the way things are going.  Can't believe another year is almost gone.

So, that's the news.  Need to go make some potato salad for dinner.  I love hearing from everyone and like Robin wish everyone would write more often.

Love to all
Debi (and Mike in absencia)

1 comment:

Sariah said...

Congratulations! (On both the new business and qualifying for retirement.) We'll have to go check out the new place! :)